Friday, June 14, 2013

Honey Bourbon BBQ Sauce

The other day at the store I was looking at BBQ sauce. Every brand on the grocery shelf had high fructose corn syrup in it. No thanks! Easy enough to whip up my own!!! Plus its a recipe without ketchup as a base...again lots of HFCS and salt!
Great for a marinade or as a dip.










18 oz tomato paste(3-6 oz cans or about double this recipe)
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar*
1/4 cup worcestshire sauce
1 small onion, chopped fine
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 TB dry mustard powder
1-2 tsp hot sauce(I used chaoula)
1 tsp liquid smoke
salt and pepper to taste
1/2-3/4 cup  Bourbon


* you may want to start without this sugar addition and add to your sweetness preferences

 Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium low heat.
 Cover and Simmer over low heat for 1 hour. Adjust sugars, seasonings and bourbon as desired(If you make adjustments , simmer at least 30 minutes longer)


I prefer a smooth sauce so I ran my immersion blender through it, you can leave it chunky if you like.

 Pour into a container and enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment