Sunday, May 29, 2011

Pumpkin Black Bean Soup

No one was really hungry this evening. My dinner schedule had been re-arranged so many times this week, the dinner I had planned just did not seem appetizing. The weather is warming up but there was a chilly wind coming up so I decided to throw together a soup with my last bit of pumpkin I had in the freezer.








1 quart chicken stock
2 cups pureed pumpkin(about 1-15 oz can)
2 cups black beans(about 1-15 oz can, drained and rinsed)
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 cups diced tomatoes(about 1-14.5 oz can)
1 chipotle bullion cube(can be omitted, or you can use more for a spicier kick)
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups baby spinach leaves, torn into bite sized pieces


Combine all but the spinach and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the veggies are tender. Add spinach and simmer 5 minutes more.


Serve with a dollop of Sour Cream


Freezes well! Just chill thoroughly and place in a resealable container(I place a layer of heavy plastic wrap directly on top of it before placing the lid) 







No comments:

Post a Comment