Monday, April 22, 2013

Root Beer Pulled Pork with Coleslaw and Fried Jalapenos

We took our son to a local BBQ joint for his birthday and I had the most delicious pulled pork sandwich! I figured it would be easy to make at home. I had an extra bottle of root beer leftover from his party(1 left with 3 kids in the house = CHAOS!) so I decided to use that. Very simple and delicious. You can use a hoagie, a tortilla or I put it over leftover corn bread!! Sorry no process pictures, I really didn't think about it while I was making it!!






2lb pork roast
12 oz bottle QUALITY root beer
1-2 TB Liquid Smoke
Seasoning Salt
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Pepper

Quality BBQ sauce of your choice, my favorite is Honey Bourbon

Fried Jalapenos
Fried Pickles
(THIS recipe  is my fave for both!)

Coleslaw:
8 oz coleslaw mix(premade or make your own, whatever you like)
1/3 cup mayo
3 TB sugar
1 TB milk
1 TB white vinegar
garlic powder
salt
pepper



Place the roast in a slow cooker, pour over root beer and liquid smoke, season to taste and cook 8-10 hours on low. Until the meat is falling apart (generally needs to be about 200 plus degrees when measured with a meat thermometer, it might seem like that is "over cooked" but it is NOT you just need it falling apart!)

Remove the roast, allow to cool until easily handle-able then shred well.

Return to the slow cooker juices, add in BBQ sauce to taste(depends on how sloppy you like it!)

Mix your coleslaw dressing , season to taste, then toss in the coleslaw mix.

Scoop pork over a hoagie, into a tortilla, over cornbread, over mashed or baked potato....whatever you like!!!

Add a few jalapenos and/or pickles and top with coleslaw!




No comments:

Post a Comment