Monday, April 1, 2013

Orange Bread (or Knots)

I made Orange Knots for Easter Dinner, but when the dough was done I realized I had WAY too much for my little dinner for 5. I split it in half and made half of it a loaf of bread.

 I will add in pictures next time since I do plan to make this again!!! (also I will be testing a gluten free version)


This will make 2 large loaves, it freezes well too!

I made my loaf into French Toast!









2 TB yeast
3/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice, slightly warmed(not too hot, no more than 110)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
4 1/2-5 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
zest from 1 large orange(about 2 TB)


In a bowl dissolve yeast in orange juice, mix in sugar and allow to sit until the yeast is foamy.

In a sauce pan scald milk gently then add in butter, stirring gently until fully melted. Remove from heat an allow to cool to lukewarm(placing the pan in ice water helps it cool faster if you like.

Add eggs and salt to the yeast mixture.
Then add in cooled milk mixture and zest.

1/2 cup at a time add in flour, switching to a dough hook (or hands if mixing by hand) when necessary. Add enough flour so that it sticks together but not to your hands.
Knead until smooth and elastic.

Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.

Punch Dough down, divided in half and

For Bread:
Place in greased large bread pans(mine are 10 x 5).

Allow to rise 30-45 minutes more

preheat oven to 350 and bake about 50-60 minutes until it sounds hollow when thumped lightly.

Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.

For Knots:
Divided dough into 24 pieces, roll each one out like a snake and tie into a loose knot. Place on greased baking sheet.

Allow to rise 30-45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 35 and bake 30 minutes or until hollow sounding when thumped Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with more orange zest if desired!

Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.







No comments:

Post a Comment