Sunday, July 14, 2013

Copycat "Veggie Medley" Veggie Burgers

I had these while visiting family years ago. This particular flavor was the only one from the Gardenburger Brand that I could have because they have no mushrooms(I can't handle mushrooms in excess, gives me a bad tummy ache). I am not a huge fan of frozen burgers anymore so I thought I would make my own LOL, plus I can leave out the wheat gluten and a few other unnecessary ingredients.
I served them on gluten free flat bread rounds. Recipe HERE.




1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup rolled oats*
1/2 cup cooked lentils
1/4 cup ground flax

1 cup chopped broccoli
1 cup chopped carrots
1 small onion, chopped fine
3/4 cup corn kernels
1/2 cup green bell peppers**
1/2 cup red bell peppers**
1 clove garlic, minced
** you can do any combo of colors for the bell peppers you like, orange and yellow are great too!

1 TB olive oil

2 TB soy sauce or Bragg's Amino for gluten free
1 TB parsley
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp cane sugar dissolved 1 tsp water (doesnt have to be completly dissolved)
salt and pepper to taste

Place the oats in a blender and whirl them for a few seconds to chop them, but be careful not to turn it into flour!*
* make sure they are certified GF if needed and you can use a heaping 3/4 cup quick oats in place of this step if you like.

Combine cooked rice, oats, lentils and flax. Set aside










Combine all the veggies in a food processor and pulse until well chopped.

In a large pan heat 1 TB olive oil over medium heat. Add veggies and cook until just tender.







Add the rice mixture, all the veggies and the seasonings back to the food processor and pulse until paste like but still has some chunks...





Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.









Preheat a large electric griddle to 325 and oil it WELL
(Griddle is easiest to do the entire batch, you could do them in sections in a pan on the stove top too)

With damp hands(to prevent sticking, re-wet as needed) shape into patties (I used about 1/3 cup full at a time) and place on the heated griddle.









Grill for 10-15 minutes and gently flip. Bake another 10 minutes until nicely browned.











Serve immediately, I topped mine with onion, spinach, banana peppers, mayo and mustard
 or cool completely and wrap for freezing.

When reheating I suggest cooking in a well oiled pan over medium heat for 5 -7 minutes, flip and cook 5-6 more.






2 comments:

  1. how many burgers does this recipe yield?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got 10 good sized patties out of it using approx 1/3 cup to scoop.

      Delete