Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pineapple Turkey with Coconut Rum Glaze

I had a turkey sitting in my freezer and I figured it was time we used it. I wanted something a little different and I had some Parrot Bay Coconut Rum sitting on my shelf so I decided to put it to use.







12 lb turkey
1 whole pineapple
1 cup pineapple juice
3/4 cup brown sugar, divided
1/2 cup coconut oil, divided(butter if you have no coconut oil)
1/2 cup coconut rum
salt and pepper to taste



Slice the rind off of the pineapple, if you can do it in 1 large piece with a filet knife even better, I put my rind directly under the rack of my roasting pan.

Slice the pineapple into slices.

Rinse and pat dry your bird inside and out.

Place the bird on the top of a rack inside a roasting pan or roasting oven, pour pineapple juice in the bottom of the pan, gently loosen the skin around the breast and drumsticks

Combine 1/4 cup of the coconut oil(softened) with 1/4 cup brown sugar, mix well.

Spread the brown sugar mixture under the skin of the bird.

In a sauce pan combine remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup coconut oil. Heat over medium heat until boiling. Simmer for a few minutes until slightly thickened.
Remove from heat and add rum, mix well and return to heat and bring to a boil again. Boil 1 minute more. Remove from heat  and allow to cool until it thickens slightly.







Place slices of pineapple all over and inside the turkey , securing with toothpicks if necessary.


Brush with 1/2 the rum glaze and sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired.







I did mine in a roaster oven so I set it to 325 degrees and put the lid on and let it go, basting it every so often. At about the 3 hour mark I brushed it again with 1/2 of the remaining rum glaze, and again right at the end with the rest. Cook it to an internal temp of 185. Generally about 3-4 hours for an unstuffed 12 pounder at 325.


I have never done a turkey in my regular oven but if you want to do that I would suggest 325 as well and cover it with foil, after you put the glaze on at the 3hr mark, leave the foil off and allow it to brown, glazing/basting often.

No comments:

Post a Comment