Tuesday, June 26, 2012

My Favorite Veggie Burgers

I can't believe I have gone this long without putting this veggie burger recipe on here! This is one of my favorites! I found it years ago but of course I have since changed it up per our tastes and needs. These freeze wonderfully after baking for a quick pull out burger too!






1 large carrot, shredded
2 medium zucchini, shredded
1 small white onion, minced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 cups baby spinach leaves
1 TB olive oil

1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats*
1/4 cup ground flax
1 egg
2 TB Bragg's Amino Acid or Soy Sauce
1 tsp (or to taste) hot sauce, I used Cholula Chipotle
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley
salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup shredded cheese(your preference, cheddar, pepper jack, mozzarella, provolone.....)

*certified GF for those that need it


Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add carrots, zucchini, onion, garlic and baby spinach.










Sauté until veggies are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
Remove from heat and pour into a colander, drain well, pressing slightly to remove a little more liquid.









Place veggies into a large mixing bowl. Add oats, flax egg, amino acid, hot sauce  and seasonings.
Mix well, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.








After it is well chilled mix in the shredded cheese.










Form into patties(this makes 8-10 smaller ones or 6 nice big ones, I did 3 bigger ones and 4 smaller ones) then dust with a little rice flour(all purpose is fine for those not needing gluten free)

Refrigerate 15- 20 minutes more.






Place patties on a greased baking pan and broil for about 5-7 minutes on each side.(adjust times as needed for the size of your patties)










Serve on a bun with all the fixings!

This one is a GF bun for my 8 year old







This one is on a wheat bun for my husband.




2 comments:

  1. i've never made my own veggie burgers before. you'd think after being a vegetarian for 18 years i would have by now! i'm so gonna try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never made my own veggie burgers before. you'd think after being a vegetarian for 18 years i would have by now! i'm so gonna try this.

    ReplyDelete