Friday, August 24, 2012

Black Bean and Cheese Taquitos

I had planned on making shredded beef taquitos but when I went into my freezer I found that my list had not been updated and the small roast I was planning to use was gone.... So I opted to make a black bean taquito instead....









2 cups prepared black beans(approx 15 oz can, drained )
2 cups prepared refried beans(approx 15 oz can)
1/4 cup salsa(mild, medium or hot to your preference)
1/4 cup chopped pepper(pick a pepper to your heat preference, I used fresh green chilies)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 TB chili powder
1 tsp cumin
cheese(What ever kind you like, I used  precut pepper jack and sliced 5 slices each into 4 sections)
salt to taste

20 thin tortillas(I used homemade corn tortillas, you can use store bought or even flour tortillas if you like)

I also added 1/4 cup chopped pickled cactus


Combine all in a sauce pan and heat over low heat, stirring often.










When heated through remove from heat and mash the black beans slightly.









Preheat oven to 400 and line a jelly roll pan with foil, generously spray with cooking spray.

Place a tortilla(warmed for flexibility if necessary) on a clean flat surface and scoop about 2 generous TB of the bean filling on to it. Then top with a slice of cheese.





Roll up and place seam side down in prepared pan. Repeat with remaining filling and tortillas
Brush the tops of the rolls lightly with canola oil









Bake about 20 minutes , then set them under a broiler set to low(or a low rack if you dont have setting options) for 5 minutes until crisp and browned.

Serve with sour cream, salsa, guacamole, jalapenos, hot sauce.....whatever you like.



You can fry these too for extra crispy!

Heat 1/2 inch oil in a pan to about 360 degrees add taquitos (dont overfill your pan!) and fry 90 seconds per side or until desired brownness is reached.
Drain on paper towels and continue with the rest of the rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment