Saturday, July 9, 2011

Slow Cooker Roast Beef with Cranberry Merlot Sauce

My oven is still on the fritz so I am having to put my slow cooker to good use this week! Not that I didn't before but it is getting double time duty. I had a beef roast and cranberries in the freezer and a bottle of Merlot.....and here we are.
 I did not get the finished pictures. I took them but they did not transfer to my computer. I removed my SD card assuming they did and deleted them before checking =(








1 - 2-3 lb beef roast
1 TB olive oil
salt and pepper

1 TB butter
1 smallish shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup Merlot
3/4 cup 100% cranberry juice(blends are ok too but make sure its 100% juice)
1/2 cup beef broth
1 cup cranberries

In a pan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add roast and sear on all sides. Season with salt and pepper and place in slow cooker.










In the same pan, melt butter add shallots and garlic and cook until tender. Add Merlot, cranberry juice and beef broth. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes.









Add cranberries, return to a boil  simmer until the cranberries have popped.











Pour sauce over the roast in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours or high 4-5 hours.

Remove meat and cover with foil to keep warm.
Add a mixture of 1/4 cup cold water and 3 TB flour to the sauce. Stir well. Cover and turn up high for 10 minutes until thickened.
Slice the meat and top with sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment