Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Condensed French Onion Soup Substitute

My husband wanted to have Salisbury Steak for dinner and the recipe I found called for a can of condensed French Onion Soup.....at the store the price is OUTRAGEOUS for a single can not to mention all the added junk on the ingredient list!  I set out to make a copy and this turned out quite well in my opinion....just be aware that the color wont be a rich brown like the store bought version....simply because of the lack of added "caramel coloring".




1 small onion(about 1/2 cup chopped)
1 TB olive oil
1 TB Molasses

2 beef bullion cubes
3/4 cup boiling water

2 TB cornstarch
1/4 cup COLD water


In a medium sauce pan heat oil and molasses over medium heat. Add onions and sautee for 5-7 minutes until the onions are soft and sticky.









Dissolve bullion cubes in boiling water
Add  broth to onions

Dissolve cornstarch in cold water
Add to onion mixture

Season with salt and pepper to taste

Recommended 1 TB dried cheddar cheese powder if available! (this is an ingredient in the store version, but IMO it does not really make or break the soup,  it does, however, give it a certain "something")

Bring it all to a boil and stir until thickened.




makes approx 1.5 cups....almost EXACTLY 1 can of condensed soup...






Nutritional Info-entire recipe-LINK

4 comments:

  1. Thank you! I found your site from an online search and made this tonight for a chicken casserole. Turned out very yummy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I also used it for Salisbury steak, & my 5 kiddos ate it up better than they did when made with store bought soup. Plus I felt better feeding them something healthier & helping out the budget. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I am going to try it tonight for a French Onion Turkey Bake! I would like to invite you to check out my blog {http://theartisticfarmer.blogspot.com/}; we share a lot of the same kinds of recipes. Hopefully you will find some recipes that you and your family will enjoy! I look forward to trying more of your recipes in the near future! :D Thanks for all you share! ...Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete