Tuesday, October 2, 2012

24 Hour Apple Butter

I did a HUGE batch of Apple Butter in my Roaster Oven. It is FANTASTIC!!!!!
I went off this recipe from allrecipes, but changed it a little bit. I got 10 and 3/4 -12 oz jars....that should keep us stocked for a bit!










15 lbs apples, peeled and cored, quartered( I think the ones I have are gravenstein, my friend was nice enough to let me pick off the trees at her new house)
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2TB fresh lemon juice
2 cups white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 TB cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg



I used a slow cooker liner in my roaster oven, you can half the recipe and use a slow cooker. I prefer the roaster oven so I can control the temp better.

Easy peeling tip, half the apples, then use a vegetable peeler. Halving it gives you a better grip and hand position, in my opinion.

Combine prepared apples, cider vinegar and lemon juice, set the roaster to 200(high on slow cooker). Allow to cook for 8 hours, Reduce the temp to 180(low on slow cooker) and let it sit another 10 hours.

Stir in remaining ingredients, stir it very well, mashing up the apples as much as possible. Increase temp back to 200  and simmer for 6 more hours...









Mash the apples as you like, you can even run an immersion blender through it to make it nice and smooth.
Can it according to your canning preference(freezes well too)

No comments:

Post a Comment