Thursday, December 2, 2010

Slow Cooker Creamy Ham and Potato Soup

I was going to make split pea soup from a ham bone I had leftover from Thanksgiving and to my surprise I had NO split peas in my cupboard!! I could not get out to the store so I decided to make a simple ham and potato soup.




1 ham bone(with a decent amount of meat left on it)
3.5 cups chicken stock
4 cups red potatoes, diced( peeled or not is up to you, I prefer not)
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 small white onion, chopped
1 TB dried parsley(or 1/4 cup chopped fresh)
salt and pepper to taste



1/4 cup butter
6 TB flour
2 cups milk


Combine first 7 ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours or so.

Remove ham bone and pick off all usable meat.









My family prefers a smoother soup so I run my hand held immersion blender through the soup, but you can just smush with  a potato mashed too, then add the ham bits back in.

1 hour before you plan to eat :

Heat butter in a small sauce pan until melted, whisk in flour and stir until bubbly. Slowly add in milk and heat until the milk is thickened.









Stir milk into soup and heat for 45 minutes- 1 hour.

Top with a bit of cheese and green onions and Enjoy!




You can also do this without the ham bone, the flavor wont be as deep but it is still VERY tasty. Just add diced ham right before adding the milk.(or at the beginning if you dont care to run the blender through it)

No comments:

Post a Comment